Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Conquering Gold Star Habits

You are reading the start of a habit-forming exercise. 

This platform is the manifestation of a desire to test myself with the challenge of a weekly column. For the next year, on Mondays, I will post at least three paragraphs conveying some level of cogent thought. You are invited to be the audience. Your responsibilities in that role are to judge the merits of the content and to hold me accountable for deadlines. There will be times when this challenge will not be easy on either of us. 


Repetitive behavior, a basic requirement for a habit, is not part of my nature. This self-assessment came early. Way back in kindergarten, the exercise of accumulating gold stars for successful completion of tasks (brushing teeth, combing hair, and making beds) failed to hold my attention. I think the final tally for my star chart was a week and a half’s worth of foil stickers. I may have pushed through for a full two weeks, but I suspect not. Some may see this trait as an indication of a lack of discipline. That may be true. Or, maybe, it reflects a perception of routine as mindless action. Perhaps this column will dispel both notions.


At this point, I am not defining the focus or format for this weekly endeavor. There is one certainty. The column will occasionally reflect strong opinions, some of which may even be my own. Based on the contents of unpublished musings in the files that litter my computers, the scribbling on notebook pages and stray envelops, and ponderings in the morning shower, I know I’m prone to have them. What I’ve lacked, up ‘til now, is the courage to share them on a regular basis.


It frightens me to make this public. However, advice columns of all stripes recommend announcing goals to others as a means of forming a commitment. Taking such a step is supposed to encourage resolve and follow-through. This is my declaration of resolve.


No comments:

Post a Comment